BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad 2023
If you are a Nigerian with dreams of studying abroad, your opportunity has arrived! The Nigerian Federal Ministry of Education is pleased to announce the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Awards for Nigerians to study abroad in 2022. These prestigious scholarships are open for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs. This comprehensive guide will walk you through all the essential information you need to apply and increase your chances of winning the BEA Awards this year.
What are the BEA Awards?
The BEA Awards are scholarship programs facilitated by the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Division of the Federal Scholarship Board (FSB). These scholarships are made possible through agreements between the Federal Government of Nigeria and other countries that have signed the Bilateral Education Agreement with Nigeria.
To be eligible for the BEA Awards, applicants must meet specific criteria depending on the level of study they wish to pursue:
- Applicants must possess a minimum of five (5) distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WAEC (May/June), including relevant subjects to their chosen field, as well as English Language and Mathematics.
- Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old, and for African countries, the age limit for certificates is one year.
- Applicants must be between 18 to 20 years old.
- Applicants must hold a First Class (1st Degree with at least 2nd Class Upper Division) for postgraduate degree courses.
- Previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have completed at least two (2) years post-qualification or employment practice in Nigeria.
- Applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C, and the age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D.
- N.Y.S.C. discharge or exemption certificates are accepted, along with evidence of readiness to be released by the employer.
Available Fields of Study
The BEA Scholarships are open for various fields of study at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Some of the fields include:
- Undergraduate level: Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences, Mathematics, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social Sciences, Biotechnology, Architecture, and limited spots for Medicine.
- Postgraduate level (Masters Degree and Ph.D.): All fields are eligible.
Please note that applicants for BEA countries that are non-English speaking may need to undertake a mandatory one-year foreign Language course of the country of choice, which will be the standard medium of instruction.
To apply for the BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad in 2022, follow these steps:
- Submit two sets of completed application forms at the various JAMB CBT centers.
- Attach two sets of photocopies of educational certificates and testimonials of previous schools attended, along with the originals for sighting.
- Include only one certificate, such as WAEC of May/June, for undergraduate applicants.
- Add two copies of the Birth Certificate from the National Population Commission.
- Provide a duly signed, stamped, and dated State of origin/LGA certificate.
- Include four (4) colored passport-sized photographs with a white background.
- Postgraduate applicants must also submit academic transcripts and NYSC discharge or Exemption certificates.
Benefits of BEA Awards
According to punchng.com, the federal government of Nigeria allocates N73,169,907 for the award of scholarships to 3,700 students in Nigerian universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education each year. Additionally, 272 students will be awarded scholarships to study in foreign countries with Bilateral Education Agreements.
The application process usually closes in January each year.
Host Countries for the BEA Awards
The BEA Scholarships are tenable in various countries, including Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Ukraine, Japan, Macedonia, China, Mexico, South Korea, and more.
The BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad 2022 presents a fantastic opportunity for Nigerian students to pursue their academic dreams internationally. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and follow the application process diligently to increase your chances of success. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who is eligible for the BEA Awards Scholarship?
The BEA Awards scholarship is open to Nigerian citizens only or international students residing in Nigeria.
2. Can I apply for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs?
Yes, you can apply for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs if you meet the respective eligibility criteria.
3. Is there an age limit for applicants?
Yes, the age limit is between 18 to 20 years for undergraduate applicants and 35 years for Masters, and 40 years for Ph.D. applicants.
4. What are the required documents for the application?
The required documents include educational certificates, birth certificates, state of origin/LGA certificates, passport-sized photographs, academic transcripts, and NYSC discharge or exemption certificates for postgraduate applicants.