GKS-Global Korean Scholarship: Empowering International Education and Cultural Exchange
The GKS, which stands for Global Korea Scholarship, is a prestigious program backed by the government of the Republic of Korea and implemented by the National Institute for International Education, an organization operating under the Ministry of Education of Korea. The program's primary goal is to foster a deeper understanding between Korea and other nations through educational exchanges and human resource mobilization, ultimately contributing to international peace and development.
The Evolution of the GKS Scholarship
The roots of the Global Korea Scholarship can be traced back to 2010 when the Korean government consolidated all its scholarships under one umbrella, GKS. Since then, the program has been instrumental in facilitating academic and cultural exchanges between Korea and the global community.
Programs Under GKS
1. Korea Government Scholarship
The Korea Government Scholarship offers international students the opportunity to pursue undergraduate, master's, and Ph.D. degrees in Korea. The scholarship is fully funded and includes extensive language training in Korean. It aims to nurture global leaders and establish Korea-friendly networks worldwide.
Benefits of KGSP:
- Tuition fees
- Resettlement allowance
- Medical allowance
- Living allowance
- Research cost and support
- Scholarship completion grant (not applicable for scholars settling in Korea)
- Medical insurance
- Korean proficiency grant
- Language training fees
Number Of Scholarships Awarded:
- Worldwide beneficiaries: 1,276 from 153 countries
- Annual awardees: Approximately 170
2. Global Korea Scholarship Summer Program
This program targets undergraduate students from Africa and Latin America, offering them an immersive academic experience and a chance to explore Korean culture. The ultimate goal is to nurture future global leaders.
- Applicants must be citizens of an African or Latin American country.
- Students should be in their 2nd to 4th year of college in Africa or Latin America.
- Fluency in English is essential, and knowledge of Korean will be prioritized.
- Applicants must be mentally and physically sound and willing to adapt to Korean culture.
- Fluency in English or Korean
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letter
- Round-trip airfare from home country to Korea
- Room and board for the entire duration of the program
- Traveler's insurance
The GKS-Global Korean Scholarship offers remarkable funding opportunities for international students pursuing higher education in Korea. It not only provides generous grants but also fosters cross-cultural understanding and cooperation, making it a valuable asset in the realm of global education and diplomacy.
1. Who is eligible for the GKS Scholarship?
The GKS Scholarship is open to international students from various countries, with specific eligibility criteria for each program. For instance, the Global Korea Scholarship Summer Program is available to undergraduate students from Africa and Latin America.
2. How can I apply for the GKS Scholarship?
Interested applicants can apply directly through the National Institute for International Education (NIIED) or follow the nomination process outlined by their university.
3. What are the benefits of the GKS Scholarship?
The GKS Scholarship provides comprehensive financial support, including airfare, tuition fees, living allowance, medical coverage, and more, depending on the program.
4. How many scholarships are awarded each year?
The number of scholarships awarded annually varies, but there are typically around 170 recipients worldwide.